Schwarzstr. 26, 5020 SalzburgTel:+43 (0) 662 889 40 0
Fax:+43 (0) 662 889 40 email@example.com
The main building of the Mozarteum Foundation may be visited during office times.
The Bibliotheca Mozartiana is a reference library open to the public.
The Magic Flute House may be visited at the “Organ at noon” concerts or within special guided tours only after advance notification:
Tel. + 43 (0) 662 844 313-91
Richard Berndl, an architect from Munich, designed the building for the Mozarteum Foundation at Schwarzstrasse, No. 26, in a late historic style typical of Munich. The building was constructed from 1911 to 1914 and ceremoniously opened on 14 September 1914. The offices of the Salzburg Mozarteum Foundation are located here, as well as the two concert halls, the Grosser Saal (Great Hall) and the Wiener Saal (Viennese Hall) – two of Salzburg’s most beautiful concert halls – the Bibliotheca Mozartiana and several classrooms which are used by the Mozarteum University and the famous „Magic Flute House“.
On the façade of the building is an inscription which was created by the artist Sylvie Fleury on the occasion of the first Dialogues Festival in 2005. It is a phrase in Mozart’s handwriting typical of Mozart and also of Fleury’s œuvre, illuminated by neon light and repetitively reading, “I would like to have everything that is good, genuine and beautiful!”
Original manuscripts, early prints, modern music editions, and Mozart literature in all languages: The Bibliotheca Mozartiana is the largest specialized library in the world dedicated to the life and works of Wolfgang Amadé Mozart. The library holds some 35,000 items (books and articles) and more than 6,000 music scores (handwritten and printed music).
The “Autograph vault”, which is located in the basement of the Mozart residence, is accessible during special guided tours.
Magic Flute House
The ‘Magic Flute House’, in which Mozart is said to have composed parts of his opera ‘The Magic Flute’ whilst in Vienna, is located in the Mozarteum’s so-called Bastion Garden, which is only accessible via the concert salons.
The previous owner, Prince Starhemberg, donated the Magic Flute Summer-House to the International Mozart Foundation in Salzburg in 1873.
The Magic Flute House can be viewed only when attending events held in the Mozarteum’s Great Hall during the summer and on demand or within the “Organ at noon” concerts.
Mag. Maria Erker
A – 5020 Salzburg
Tel.: +43-662-84 43 13 – 91
Fax: +43-662-84 06 93