The Salzburg Mozarteum Foundation
The Mozarteum Foundation Salzburg is a non-profit organization whose primary focus has been the life and œuvre of Wolfgang Amadé Mozart.
The organisation offers concerts, maintains the Mozart museums and supports academic research. These three core areas seek not only to preserve and foster tradition but to be open to changing perspectives and consider new approaches when encountering the works of Mozart.
For more than 250 years Wolfgang Amadé Mozart has fascinated people all over the world through his works and his personality.
The Salzburg Mozarteum Foundation is the leading international institution for preserving and disseminating this invaluable cultural heritage, and presents the very many different facets of Mozart to the world.
It is our job to make his music, his life and his personality accessible to all people and generations. As a non-profit organisation we are committed to doing this in a form always relevant to our time by means of varied activities in the three spheres of concerts, research and museums. We create a bridge between tradition and contemporary culture and enable people to analyse the composer from different perspectives, thereby giving them plenty of food for thought. Knowledge about Wolfgang Amadé Mozart serves us as the basis and source of inspiration for creative processes and academic insights.
The association known as the Salzburg Mozarteum Foundation was founded in 1880 by citizens of the city of Salzburg as the ‘International Mozarteum Foundation’ and is rooted in the Cathedral Music Association and Mozarteum that dates from 1841. Mozart’s widow, Constanze, who lived in Salzburg from 1824, as well as the two sons Carl Thomas and Franz Xaver Wolfgang, donated the majority of his personal belongings and memorabilia to the association. The Salzburg Mozarteum Foundation thus owns the largest collection worldwide of original letters, portraits and instruments of the Mozart Family.
A Historical Survey
The Cathedral Music Association and Mozarteum was founded on 22 April 1841 on the initiative of a group of committed citizens of Salzburg. Besides organising concerts the association promoted musical education.
In 1844, Mozart’s son, Franz Xaver Mozart, authorized that the manuscripts and fragments in his estate, the clavichord and the entire library should be bequeathed to the Mozarteum.
The centenary of Mozart’s birth was celebrated in 1856. Many artists and singing societies took part and a first “Mozart Exhibition” took place in Mozart’s Birthplace, Getreidegasse No. 9.
The Salzburg Mozarteum Foundation came into being on 16 October 1870. Today’s aims – to foster Mozart’s heritage and make it accessible in three spheres: concerts, research and museums – is reflected already in the Foundation’s statutes. These already established the aim of building a Mozart House for concert performances as well as for a Mozart library and Mozart archives.
In 1875 the Salzburg Mozarteum Foundation took part in a first major academic project: the first critically assessed complete edition of the works of Mozart was published between the years 1876 and 1907 by Breitkopf & Härtel in Leipzig.
Building of the foundation
Richard Berndl, an architect from Munich, designed the building for the Mozarteum Foundation at Schwarzstrasse, No. 26, in a late historic style typical of Munich. The building was constructed from 1911 to 1914 and ceremoniously opened on 14 September 1914. The offices of the Salzburg Mozarteum Foundation are located here, as well as the two concert halls, the Grosser Saal (Great Hall) and the Wiener Saal (Viennese Hall) – two of Salzburg’s most beautiful concert halls – the Bibliotheca Mozartiana and several classrooms which are used by the Mozarteum University.
On the façade of the building is an inscription which was created by the artist Sylvie Fleury on the occasion of the first Dialogues Festival in 2005. It is a phrase in Mozart’s handwriting typical of Mozart and also of Fleury’s œuvre, illuminated by neon light and repetitively reading, “I would like to have everything that is good, genuine and beautiful!”
Full members of the board of trustees are each appointed by the ‘Mozart-Tag’ for a three year term. The board of trustees elects a president, two vice-presidents and three additional members of the executive committee from its midst. The executive committee determines the strategic direction, conducts business affairs and represents the International Mozarteum Foundation publicly. Moreover, the board of trustees elects a chairperson and two representatives. It supervises and gives advice to the executive committee.
Please check the German website for current job offers.